Sir Alex Ferguson wants to wrap up the signing of Ashley Young as soon as possible after the Aston Villa winger’s outstanding performance for England.

United are at the head of the queue for the 25-year-old and are close to sealing a £15m deal.

But they are aware his match-saving performance against Switzerland in the Euro 2012 qualifier at Wembley on Saturday will only heighten the interest in him from the Premier League’s top clubs. Liverpool are also in the hunt for Young, while Chelsea have monitored him for the past two seasons.

But Ferguson believes he is in the box seat for a player he tried to sign during the January transfer window.

Young has only one year remaining on his Villa contract and wants to experience Champions League football and play in World Cups and European Championships.

He said: "I've always had the belief I can play at the highest level.

"I've always had self-belief. I've always had the confidence I can play at the highest level.

"I want to test myself at World Cups, European Championships and the Champions League.

"As a kid you always want to play in the best competitions. As a kid I wanted to play in the Champions League - and hopefully one day I will.

"People say the prime of your careers is aged 25, 26, 27. I'm 26 next month so hopefully I'm coming into my prime."

Young has constantly intimated he will speak with Lerner before announcing any news about his future - and nothing has changed.

He said: "I'm going away on holiday. But I said at the end of the season I was going to speak to the chairman.

"I'm going to talk to him this week and we'll see where we go from there."