Paul Scholes will tonight say goodbye to United in front of a sell-out crowd at Old Trafford.

Around 76,000 fans will bid farewell to the legendary midfielder, who announced his retirement at the end of last season.

The former England international, who won 10 Premier League titles and helped United to two Champions League successes, bows out against a New York Cosmos side managed by Eric Cantona.

And United’s fans have shown just how much they appreciate Scholes by buying up all the tickets available for what is set to be an unforgettable occasion for the ginger magician, who is set to join Sir Alex Ferguson’s coaching staff.

And if he is able to transfer his ability as a player onto the training ground, the 36-year-old will prove an invaluable asset.

“A couple of years ago I felt like my career was never going to end, so you don’t think about what to do in the future in the same way as I have done over the past six months,” said Scholes.

“Football is the only thing I know a little bit about so I am going to give the coaching a go. If it doesn’t work or I am not very good at it I won’t carry on doing it.”

The 36-year-old has received a glowing endorsement from Cantona, who was one of his idols as he emerged from United’s academy.

“Paul Scholes was a great player,” said Cantona. “I knew him when he started young. He can play anywhere in midfield or up front, he can score goals, assist and tackle.

“He is a great player – I’m very proud to be here for him.

“When I was there I played with two generations of players. Ferguson brought in a lot of young players – young talent. Scholes was one of them. He has been very
successful at the club. I come back after 15 years and he’s still there. Anyone who can play for Man United that long is a great man.”

Ferguson is still hunting for the man to fill Scholes’ shoes, with Wesley Sneijder still at the top of his wanted list.

United are hoping the Dutch World Cup star will be willing to lower his wage demands – understood to be in excess of £200,000-a-week – to come to Old Trafford.

But, in Beijing with Inter Milan yesterday ahead of the Italian Super Cup against AC Milan, he insisted that trophies were his priority.

“I’m a footballer, I have many objectives and I want to win because I enjoy winning,” said Sneijder. “Saturday is the first big challenge of the season.”

And while Ferguson hopes to bring him to the Premier League, the 27-year-old said Jose Mourinho remains the best manager he was worked under.

He said: “I’ve played for many coaches and each one has been different from the others, but Jose Mourinho is still the one I liked best both as a coach and as a man.”